Gangineni Hita has started Geometrical Optics in her IIT Academy. Apparently there is good variety of problems here.
- Dora says he is also uncomfortable in the initial stages, but Hita is content with his grace.
- She admires HC Verma – Concepts of Physics – Vol 1 and its problems in optics.
- We will progress to Co-IPL material, Abhay Kumar Singh,Rahul Sardana and prev.IIT qps.
- I suppose Hita needs to build more clarity with ray diagrams and sign convention.
- I would force Hita to do some expts in Optics so that she gets a feel of concepts.
We plan to concentrate on Heat & Thermodynamics for this week .
- This is the present topic in her college.
- We will start with HC Verma and add Sardana, IRODOV and Abhay Kumar Singh as we move forward.
- Hope to review with Dora on this topic by Sunday if not on Sat .
- Heat is an essential topic and relatively straight questions are available in competitive exams.
- I would like Hita to increase the practice hours/output to gain quickness in recognising situations and accuracy.
- Maybe I will supply her with more DPPs, QPs and assignments on Heat & Thermodynamics this week to steel her from surprises.
- Relatively weak areas need to be identified for ex from NSEP exam we would like to increase focus on Optics, Current Electricity, Experimental/Theoretical Physics, SemiConductor Devices.
Presently SHM is being done in Hita’s classroom. She told me she solved all of HC Verma and DPPs given by her Physics Class teacher.She is also done some problems from Irodov and AK Singh , I think. I will review her progress and ask her some conceptual questions I randomly come across.
Dora’s notes may come in handy here.
I had been fascinated by the book Problems in Physics by Abhay Kumar Singh from my engineering prep days. The fact that it is quite respected even today is a testimony of its depth and treatment of subject.
Gangineni Hita will complete atleast one overall sampling of problems from the book in another three intensive sessions with Dora. She has to do Modern physics , Semi-conductor devices and some kinematics. Why some she has to do full to full kinematics in her own language.
Hita is satisfied only if the topic in physics is treated by her uncle and the explanation comes from his mouth. I think more than his explanation his exhortation is what matters because an intense field of physics problem solving is felt in his presence.
Though other famous international books like IE IRODOV are there I preferred AK Singh for his Indian flavor and strict usage of SI units.I had to do lot of negotiation with large no of stakeholders in getting Hita experience a flavor of A K Singh’s book.
Hope her mother meets AK Singh next week in Patna and some thing fruitful comes out of it for her next step in prep for olympiad and camp.
Today hopefully Hita would have started her brushing up of Sardana’s books with Optics and Modern Physics by adjusting her lunch and managing in her study hours.( if she doesnt feel shy of reading physics!)
Some images of A K Singh