We plan to concentrate on Heat & Thermodynamics for this week .
- This is the present topic in her college.
- We will start with HC Verma and add Sardana, IRODOV and Abhay Kumar Singh as we move forward.
- Hope to review with Dora on this topic by Sunday if not on Sat .
- Heat is an essential topic and relatively straight questions are available in competitive exams.
- I would like Hita to increase the practice hours/output to gain quickness in recognising situations and accuracy.
- Maybe I will supply her with more DPPs, QPs and assignments on Heat & Thermodynamics this week to steel her from surprises.
- Relatively weak areas need to be identified for ex from NSEP exam we would like to increase focus on Optics, Current Electricity, Experimental/Theoretical Physics, SemiConductor Devices.
In the search for experimental awareness for Hita, we have gathered few resources.
- Nice resource is TELUGU ACADEMY’s LAB MANUAL priced @ Rs 45
- My friend also pitched in with some instruments like screw gauge, vernier calipers.
- KVN Pratap Reddy has shown resistor,diode,capacitor,transistor,multimeter etc.
- We have visited one branch of our college and gained some understanding for half a day doing expts.
- There are CDs also though Hita had not watched them till now.
Olympiads in various fields of education are gaining popularity. Some of the most popular are International Maths Olympiad, International Physics Olympiad. Others are IChO,APhO,IEO,IOAA,IOA,IJSO,IOI etc.
- Some of the very good points noted by IISc regarding Olympiads in India
- Junior Olympiads need to be conducted at the level of Class 9 to enable a olympiad culture at school level and forming an input base.
- Rewards for Olympiad level participants need to be enhanced.
- Good Syllabi at 10+2 level and IITJEE prep helps a lot for Indian Students in Olympiads.
- Training at Zonal level especially experimental skills needed and should done round the year.
Hita wants to get a handle on Physics experiments and familiarize with the instruments used in measurements. IIT JEE Mains 2015 gives us a glimpse of expts the students need to be familiar.
UNIT 21: EXPERIMENTAL SKILLS
Familiarity with the basic approach and observations of the experiments and activities:
1. Vernier callipers-its use to measure internal and external diameter and depth of a vessel.
2. Screw gauge-its use to determine thickness/diameter of thin sheet/wire.
3. Simple Pendulum-dissipation of energy by plotting a graph between square of amplitude and time.
4. Metre Scale – mass of a given object by principle of moments.
5. Young’s modulus of elasticity of the material of a metallic wire.
6. Surface tension of water by capillary rise and effect of detergents.
7. Co-efficient of Viscosity of a given viscous liquid by measuring terminal velocity of a given spherical
8. Plotting a cooling curve for the relationship between the temperature of a hot body and time.
9. Speed of sound in air at room temperature using a resonance tube.
10. Specific heat capacity of a given (i) solid and (ii) liquid by method of mixtures.
11. Resistivity of the material of a given wire using metre bridge.
12. Resistance of a given wire using Ohm’s law.
13. Potentiometer –
(i) Comparison of emf of two primary cells.
(ii) Determination of internal resistance of a cell.
14. Resistance and figure of merit of a galvanometer by half deflection method.
15. Focal length of:
(i) Convex mirror
(ii) Concave mirror, and
(iii) Convex lens using parallax method.
16. Plot of angle of deviation vs angle of incidence for a triangular prism.
17. Refractive index of a glass slab using a travelling microscope.
18. Characteristic curves of a p-n junction diode in forward and reverse bias.
19. Characteristic curves of a Zener diode and finding reverse break down voltage.
20. Characteristic curves of a transistor and finding current gain and voltage gain.
21. Identification of Diode, LED, Transistor, IC, Resistor, Capacitor from mixed collection of such items.
22. Using multimeter to:
(i) Identify base of a transistor
(ii) Distinguish between npn and pnp type transistor
(iii) See the unidirectional flow of current in case of a diode and an LED.
(iv) Check the correctness or otherwise of a given electronic component (diode, transistor or IC).
I would try to get some acquaintance for Hita in 2 days for expts.