From my viewpoint of a parent trying to train my daughter for IIT JEE, I would like to list out my impressions.
- Awareness of JEE prep has increased tremendously in AP and Telengana.
- Catch them young type of attitude and fierce competition among educational institutions help foster this spirit.
- Parents involvement in learning and encouragement aids students.
- Educated parents should involve minutely in their wards prep. This is what I noticed.
- I am lucky that I had inclination for physics and her mother a PhD in Chemistry.
- Availability of materials had increased exponentially.
- For physics i found a structured way of solving NCERT, HC Verma, GC Agrawal, Sardana and occasional problems from Irodov and Abhay Kumar Singh is an ideal one.
- I had an edge here because of Dora and having started from 10th her physics prep.
Ì would like to list out the reference books Gangineni Hita followed for NSEP Prep.
- NCERT Vol 1& 2
- NSEP Prev.QP – IAPT Publications
- Physics Olympiad problems – MTG Publications
- 36 years prev.iit qp- DC Pandey
- Problems in Physics – Abhay Kumar Singh
- IE Irodov- Solutions – 4th edition by AK Singh- Wiley Maestro Publications
- Telugu Academy – Question Bank- Vol 1&2
- Concepts of Physics – HC Verma- Vol 1& 2
- Advanced JEE Physics – Different Volumes- Rahul Sardana
Hita is continuing her quest for NSEP 2014. We have done question papers of NSEP 2000-2014, IITJEE 1997-2014.
- Hita identified some problems where she would like a clarification/opinion from DORA.
- We are also marking questions from 35 years prev qps in Physics by DC Pandey. Probably we will go to Dora on Friday.
- Solving questions from prev.papers of NSEP,IITJEE would help Hita calibrate her skills and hone her conceptual understanding.
- I would like her ideally to start IRODOV and A K Singh after her NSEP exam.
- Maybe conceptual questions from HCVerma, Resnick & Halliday , NCERT books also need a thorough review by Hita.
Presently SHM is being done in Hita’s classroom. She told me she solved all of HC Verma and DPPs given by her Physics Class teacher.She is also done some problems from Irodov and AK Singh , I think. I will review her progress and ask her some conceptual questions I randomly come across.
Dora’s notes may come in handy here.
I had been fascinated by the book Problems in Physics by Abhay Kumar Singh from my engineering prep days. The fact that it is quite respected even today is a testimony of its depth and treatment of subject.
Gangineni Hita will complete atleast one overall sampling of problems from the book in another three intensive sessions with Dora. She has to do Modern physics , Semi-conductor devices and some kinematics. Why some she has to do full to full kinematics in her own language.
Hita is satisfied only if the topic in physics is treated by her uncle and the explanation comes from his mouth. I think more than his explanation his exhortation is what matters because an intense field of physics problem solving is felt in his presence.
Though other famous international books like IE IRODOV are there I preferred AK Singh for his Indian flavor and strict usage of SI units.I had to do lot of negotiation with large no of stakeholders in getting Hita experience a flavor of A K Singh’s book.
Hope her mother meets AK Singh next week in Patna and some thing fruitful comes out of it for her next step in prep for olympiad and camp.
Today hopefully Hita would have started her brushing up of Sardana’s books with Optics and Modern Physics by adjusting her lunch and managing in her study hours.( if she doesnt feel shy of reading physics!)
Some images of A K Singh
One of the books for problems I very much like is Abhay Kumar Singh’s Problems in Physics. Though it is out of stock and may not be popular now as it is in subjective jee days,it contains very nice problems.