Atleast from AP & Telengana many students suffer from poor experimental skills at the level of 10+2 according to my observation and experience.
- Physics is a science of Measurement.
- “When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science.”― William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin
- HC Verma always emphasises role of expts and conducts many such initiatives.
- I quote from HBCSE documents:
Emphasis on experimental science
One of the unique aspects of the Olympiad programme is its significant emphasis on experimental
science. Most talent nurture programmes or competitive examinations in the country focus purely
on theoretical aspects of a subject, thereby creating a learning environment in which the student is
hardly encouraged to hone his/her experimental skills. By exposing students to innovative and
novel experiments and training them in the methods of experimental science, the Olympiad
programme strives to address the problem of acute need of motivated bright students in research
laboratories across the country. The Olympiad laboratories at HBCSE are equipped to the level of
international standards, much beyond the typical facilities found in Indian schools and colleges.
Several experimental kits developed at HBCSE have been distributed to a number of schools across
India and also through the IAPT network.
5. Olympiads are a good opportunity for the students of this age group, to interact with their international counterparts to understand the cultural and scientific environment of the different nations.